Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)
The Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) reimburses child care providers providing healthy meals and snacks that meet USDA nutritional guidelines. Programs enrolled in CACFP can provide meals and snacks at no charge to families. CACFP also reimburses meals served to children in afterschool programs and emergency shelters.
To participate, an organization must apply through the online SC CACFP system. To gain access to that system and work toward approval:
- Child care providers must first attend an orientation class to learn about eligibility, record keeping and other requirements.
- Group home and family home providers must have a sponsoring organization to participate in CACFP. Find a list of sponsors here.
- After submitting an acceptable application, child care centers will be scheduled for a pre-approval visit.
Afterschool Meals Program
This program provides reimbursement to programs serving school-aged children ages 5-18. Private, for-profit organizations must apply and be approved to participate in CACFP before they can be approved for the Afterschool Meals Program.
To become an approved program, public and private non-profit providers must:
- Offer regularly scheduled educational or enrichment activities in a supervised environment.
- Be located in a school area where at least 50% of children in attendance are eligible for free or reduced-priced meals.
Emergency Shelters Meal Program
This program provides reimbursement to emergency shelters, homeless shelters and other facilities providing temporary shelter for meals and snacks served to children ages 18 and under. Qualifying shelters can receive reimbursement for three meals a day, seven days a week.
Shelters meeting the requirements to participate should:
- Contact the Child and Adult Care Food Program staff at (803)898-0959 to schedule an on-site orientation.
- Complete the orientation, which covers program regulations, requirements, forms and other specifics of the emergency shelter program.
- Submit a completed application within 90 days of completing the orientation.